How Dangerous Are Plants to Pets?



Most common outdoor plant poisoning to pets happens because of plants that can produce poisons when they are damaged or cut. Examples of poisonous, outdoor plants are: azalea, spider plant, white-tipped iceberg, ivy, and poison ivy. But while consuming the white-tipped iceberg (iceberg emerald) can cause digestive problems like vomiting and diarrhea, the azalea (purified urine) can cause intestinal blockage and liver damage among many other things. In the case of ivy, ingested can lead to ulcerations and lesions.

Several household chemicals and pesticides can also be poisonous to pets, as can some medicines and fungi. These can be ingested through soil, inhalation of fumes, or dermal absorption through your pets’ skin. These are particularly problematic, as they can affect your pets’ internal organs, which can complicate treatment and recovery. However, it is possible to prevent some of these effects with proper ventilation and cleaning of the house, taking care not to spray chemical cleaners directly on surfaces, and using effective air cleaners to keep them away from your home. If you suspect that any of these substances are present in your home but have not yet tested for, make sure to test them out before using them on your pets, especially if your pet’s tend to spend a great amount of time around the house, as this can spread and become quite hazardous.

Poisonings by insecticides and plant pollens are another major source for unintentional poisonings to pets and can potentially be fatal. While there are several different types of insecticides, including those designed specifically for use on plants, there are one primary categories of insecticides that are particularly hazardous to pets: plant toxins. Examples include plant pollen, plant dyes, and plant enzymes, which can be deadly when ingested. Common plant toxins include chocolate, eucalyptus, fenugreek, melaleuca, mint, orange peel, poison ivy, Rosemary, sandalwood, and teak oil.

Severe cases of poisoning by toxic herbs can result in death, as well. Symptoms include vomiting, seizures, tremors, breathing problems, and extreme depression in your pet. If your cat, dog, or other pet develops severe symptoms after ingesting a poisonous herb, seek medical help immediately. It is important that you know the exact ingredients in the herb you believe has caused your pet’s symptoms, and that you ask your veterinarian to confirm the ingredients as poisonous. You should also contact the local fire department and inform them of the type of herbicide involved.

Ingestion is never recommended as a means of self-defense for your pets, so it is especially important to make sure your pets are kept away from plants that are poisonous to pets and especially your pets’ safety. Be sure to keep the area around plants clean and free of debris if you live in an apartment. Keep your yard clear of any fallen leaves or twigs, as these can be ingested by animals and cause death. Keep the area around your plants clean, and throw away any decaying matter.

Plants can also affect the liver in many ways. Symptoms include vomiting, jaundice, weakness, vomiting, and hibiscus symptoms. Animals that have been exposed to a poisonous plant may experience mild symptoms such as a slight tingling feeling in the area of exposure. In more severe cases, severe symptoms could develop including liver failure, seizures, and coma. If you suspect that a plant is killing your pet, contact a local poison expert before attempting to remove the plant.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *